Saturday, November 19, 2011

If interest in learning how to swim is for the military, should I only learn the sidestroke and breaststroke?

I'm thinking of joining the Navy, hopefully for EOD, and I'm curious what is needed to attend Dive School. I'm just now learning how to swim and am having problems with my freestyle, but when I try out both the breaststroke and sidestroke I have no problem at all.|||First, to be successful in Navy EOD Pipeline, not only that you need to be a good swimmer (and know how to swim using many different strokes), you will also need to be 'comfortable' in the water as well. I was a competitive swimmer (in H.S. at the state level), but nearly drown in Dive School.





As for your question, Combat Swim Stroke is what you will need to learn; check out this site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lUHudMN1鈥?/a>





You will still need to learn, and be comfortable with, Freestlye. Combat Stroke is good for endurance, but very slow; Freestyle is good for speed (and you may need to use speed rather than endurance in the future).





I am not trying to get you down, just want you to be informed and prepared. Good luck %26amp; Go Crab!!!|||Keep working on all of the other strokes, because it is a good skill to have, and they might come in handy one day, but if you really can't do it, don't worry. I was a competitive swimmer as a kid and when I was learning to swim I wasn't much good at freestyle, but it was easy once I got the hang of it.|||The Combat sidestroke is what you should REALLY learn to swim!!..but of course learn as much as you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment