Thursday, November 24, 2011

Having difficulty keeping my head above water while doing breaststroke?

I am 33 yrd old and just started my first swimming lessons. After few weeks, now I can swim a bit without any accessories. Now the problem is that I swim only if I keep my head under water. If I hold it above water, I sink within 2 strokes. My teacher says its important to practise with head above water. any tips to hold my head above water and swim? Thanks.|||Congratulations on learning to swim. A couple of things to try.





1. Get used to the sinking feeling. Keeping your head up is tiring and makes your body sink. Once it sinks however, it will float back up. So don't panic when you start to sink. Let it go down and then come up and breathe.


2. You need to learn to scull and use your hands better to keep your head up. Learn to feel the water so that you can use the leverage to keep your head up. You can practice this in shallow water.


3. Try using a flotation device to help you keep your head up. As you get better you can use a smaller device. Noodles work well for this.


4. Keep your hips down at about a 45 degree angle. This may make it easier to keep your head up. Your kick will be driving you upwards more and you'll have more of your body in the water for better flotation. It's also easier on your neck.





Good luck!|||Whenever you swim, it is best to keep your face facing the bottom of the pool, and to not lift your head. Sounds funny, I know but I have been swimming for about 9 year and when you lift your head up, your hips sick which makes you less streamline in the water, which makes you work herder than you should be. If you have a strong core and strong back muscles, use those to help move your whole upper body so your moth is above the water, don't rely on your arms and strain your neck|||dont be completly horizontal...go on an angle

No comments:

Post a Comment