Saturday, November 19, 2011

By chance is the breaststroke bad for your knees?

I was doing the breaststroke earlier today and now my right knee is in a lot of discomfort. Any thoughts?|||It is common for breaststrokers to develop knee problems due to their kicking. It can happen to the best breaststrokers. Seek advice from a coach who can watch how you are kicking.


I have a friend who was a breaststroker who had to get her knee reconstructed because of it. However, there are many other breaststrokers who never experience this problem.|||If done correctly breaststroke shouldn't hurt your knees, because for a normal person it's a natural leg movement. You could be over-exaggerating your breaststroke kick or even have some-what of a butterfly kick when using your right leg. To see if that's the case it would help to have someone on land watch you while you swim, to see if your leg movements look unnatural.





Another problem could be if you are pigeon-toed, as I am, attempting to do breaststroke often puts a lot of strain on your hips and knees.|||Yes it is bad for your knees...I have a knee problem too and i was told i need to strengthen the muscles above my knees. I am a breastroker and i have a very strong kick but i only use my knees which might be what your doing

No comments:

Post a Comment