Saturday, November 19, 2011

How can I improve my sprint breaststroke?

Hi, I am a junior in high school, and I want to try to improve my 100 breaststroke before the championship meet in early May. I am better at the 200 breast, but unfortunately, that event isn't offered in high school :( Any drills or tips are appreciated.





I have pretty slow turns, but they've gotten better, but my pullouts and dives are still weak. My stroke itself is probably my strongest point, although I tend to take too many strokes per lap.





ThANKSS!|||It sounds like you have identified some things already, particularly in a sprint where times and races are so much closer walls and turns make or break. I'll agree with other poster to practice more sprints but i'll disagree on longer glides, dont make your pull short but try to make it more powerful, higher shoulder rise out of the water and faster pace but by no means do those awful quick strokes/breaths like the amatuers. Best of Luck at your meet.





Cheers!|||It sounds as if you have been training more for endurance breaststroke instead of sprint breaststroke. You need to do a ton of 25's all out sprint breaststroke. Also, do a ton of mid-pool 25's so that you really work on your turns. In an 100 (unlike a 200) the start, pull-downs, breakouts, and turns are REALLY important. You need to make sure that you are really praticing these. Also, work on getting power from your kick and stretching long on your glides.

No comments:

Post a Comment